By BRIAN BOHNERT
After waiving their right for preliminary hearings Thursday, two of the three teens charged in last week’s burglary-turned-homicide will have their cases considered by the Seneca County Grand Jury.
Tyson J. Ogg, 18, transient, and Dallas A. Salaz, 19, Fostoria, waived their respective preliminary hearings Thursday afternoon, appearing before Tiffin-Fostoria Municipal Court Judge Mark Repp in a packed courtroom.
Ogg and Salaz, along with Garrett N. Brown, 17, whose last listed address is Findlay, are accused of breaking into 218 E. Culbertson St. on May 21 and fatally shooting 20-year-old Janelle Mauricio. Thursday’s hearings came one day after Mauricio’s funeral was hosted at St. Wendelin Catholic Church.
According to court records, the suspects had allegedly intended to steal money and illegal drugs from the house.
Mauricio’s boyfriend, 19-year-old Caleb Barto, was assaulted by the intruders, police said.
Fostoria police were on high security detail Thursday as friends and family of both defendants, as well as of the victim, Mauricio, filled the seats of the Fostoria courtroom. Officers Chad Marchetto and Brandon Bell used metal-detecting wands to clear each person going into the room for entry.
Shackled at his wrists, Ogg was led to the defendant’s chair by Fostoria Police Capt. Patrick Brooks shortly after 1:30 p.m. With multiple officers flanking him on each side, Ogg and his attorney, Francis M. Marley Jr., kept his eyes straight and his face locked on Repp as the judge confirmed that the defendant was indeed waiving his right for a preliminary hearing.
“Do you understand that, by signing this waiver, you are waiving some pretty important rights?” Repp asked Ogg during his hearing Thursday.
Salaz, who was joined by his attorney, Jonathan G. Stotzer, also filed for a preliminary hearing waiver. Salaz went before Repp shortly after 2 p.m. Thursday. Throughout much of the brief hearing, Salaz sat very still with his eyes often facing down at the wooden table. Following the judge’s departure, Stotzer and Salaz joined City Prosecutor Charles Hall in a conference room.
City Prosecutor Barb Dibble said both suspects’ cases are scheduled to go before the grand jury on June 11. Repp continued the bonds for both suspects at their respective hearings.
The three suspects were arrested by Fostoria police last Thursday afternoon after an investigation linked the trio to the crime. The initial 9-1-1 call came via cellphone at 11:26 p.m. May 21. The caller reported a break-in at the Culbertson Street residence and the shooting of his girlfriend.
While officers were investigating the 200-block of Culbertson Street, where the call had reportedly came from, police learned that ProMedica Fostoria Community Hospital was treating a female with a gunshot wound to the leg. Mauricio died at the hospital.
Barto was treated and released from the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, which Loreno said were not from gunshots.
According to court records, Brown allegedly shot Mauricio with a 9 mm handgun, and Salaz allegedly struck Barto “with great force” in the right shoulder and back area, leaving welts and abrasions on his body. Ogg allegedly served as the getaway driver.
In a Wednesday interview with the Review Times, Loreno said Mauricio’s death was caused by a single gunshot wound to the leg after the bullet “traveled and tumbled” in a way that hit vital organs. The Lucas County coroner’s report on the death was not complete as of Wednesday.
Teresa Copp, Seneca County Juvenile and Probate Court administrator, said Thursday that no future court appearance has been filed for Brown through the Seneca County Prosecutor’s Office. He is currently being held at the Seneca County Youth Center.
Brown, a juvenile, went before Judge Jay Meyer of the Seneca County Juvenile Court for an initial hearing last Friday.
Ogg and Brown are facing charges of aggravated murder, aggravated burglary and felonious assault. Salaz has been charged with complicity to commit aggravated murder, aggravated burglary and felonious assault.
According to court documents, the incident was part of a plan created by the three suspects to enter the residence and steal money and illegal drugs from the two victims.
- The Docket
- Member Service