By MORGAN MANNS
First Step is hosting an enrichment series centered around women.
“These events are meant to celebrate women and the history of women,” First Step Executive Director Terri Mercer said. “As a family resource center, we want to offer classes that interest women in general and there’s nothing like this offered in Fostoria. It gives women the opportunity to meet other women and to learn something new.”
Mercer explained women put themselves last.
“They work, come home and cook dinner and are rushing around taking care of their kids or whatever needs to be done,” she said. “This is an opportunity for them to make time for themselves, to nurture themselves, to spend time fulfilling themselves through relaxation.
“When we’re younger, we get a box of crayons and let our imagination and creativity run wild. As we grow older we tend to be more critical of ourselves. These events are meant to give women the freedom to create and get some of that creativity back.”
Upcoming Women’s Enrichment Series events include the following:
• May 19 — Joy of Stamping; participants will learn the basics of rubber stamping by creating their own “Thank you” cards. Cost is $15;
• June 17 — An Evening in Lavender; participants will learn ways to grow and care for lavender, use it in recipes and a variety of other ways. Cost is $12;
• June 30 — Jams & Jellies; participants will make a jam out of fresh berries from Schooner Farms and receive recipes to take home. Cost is $25;
• July 21 — The Christmas Herbal Pantry; participants will be given ideas for herbal blends, vinegars, teas and more. Cost is $12;
• Aug. 11 — Car Charms; materials will be provided for participants to create charms to hang in their vehicles. Cost is $15; and
• Aug. 25 — A Slice of Life; participants will learn how to grow, harvest and dry to make healthy blends of herbs. Cost is $15.
All events are at 6 p.m. at First Step, 1099 Columbus Ave., Fostoria. Seating is limited. For more information or to make a reservation, call 419-435-7300, visit www.firststepweb.org or visit First Step’s Facebook page.
- The Docket
- Member Service