REINEKE FORD   ||   NEWS UPDATES

Some More Little Sheds and Shanties

Milepost 807

While the weather here in NW Ohio has been pretty crummy this winter, it would seem like a great time to do some building… or something. But I think the cold temperatures, the heavier than usual snowfalls and the lack of sunshine just made me lazy to the point where I haven’t done much of anything as far as the railroad is concerned. I decided that was going to change and headed for the basement to see what there was down there for me to do… railroad-wise, that is.

After rummaging around through a few piles of unbuilt kits, I ran across my box of Tichy windows & doors. This reminded me of the shanty project I had been meaning to complete which I wrote about in the two previous posts. But knocking out buildings like these is a pretty easy thing to do in bunches so it was back upstairs at the computer to draw up some quick plans and get busy. I guess I know the software well enugh by now that I only had about half an hour in and had the basic shape of the buildings I was going to build. While the picture above doesn’t show it, I “mixed & matched” window locations on these buildings so that one has one, two have two and the fourth one has three, all for the sake of variety. Print them out onto the sticky label paper and back down to the basement to have at it.

You will nitice that I used both clapboard siding and board & batten siding for these sheds/shanties. Again, for variety sake. I can say that the board & batten siding does create a bit of a problem with doors since the doors sit flush with the bottom of the wall sections. The battens “may” raise one side of the door more than the other, depending on where the cut is. If this happens, a few quick passes with a sharp hobby knife will eliminate the offending plastic and the doors will fit as they are supposed to. Otherwise, it was the usual… cover the back of the siding with masking tape, add the patterns on the masking tape being careful to square things up then lots of scribing & snapping. Next came the window & door openings… more scribing then final cutting with the razor blade. In about an hour, I had everything cut out and ready to assemble.

The faithful scrap box provided some square palstic stock that I used to add to the edges of the sides for additional gluing surface but first, the walls all needed painted in my default gray color. After the paint dried overnight, the plastic stock was added for the additional gluing surface and the buildings were assembled. Next came the windows. You will notice that I had two different styles of doors and of course, they wre different sizes but all of the windows were the same size which made things a little easier. After assembly of the walls and adding the windows & doors, I let things dry overnight again then went to work on the roofs.

Three of the buildings have paper roofing material; the same that I used on the little square shanty that I told you about earlier. These are best “cut to fit” as measuring them isn’t all that easy to do. Once you get the proper size, I scored the center line to be able to easily fold it and I added the lines with a black marker to simulate roof tar on the seams. On one of the buildings, I used a marker that was a little too wide… either that or the guy who slopped on the tar got a little carried away. I later realized that a Flair worked much better than a permanent marker.

Bldgs3

While it’s not pictured here, one of the buildings did get plastic shingles as opposed to the green paper roofing so those had to be cut to shape then painted. For a little more variety, I added the little awning on the building on the right and painted that as well. It was easy to position the small scrap of plastic roofing using the grooves of the clapboard for alignment.

When it was all said and done, I probably have little more than 45 minutes in each of these buildings. They really are easy to knock out and would make an ideal first scratchbuilding project. And, they did help pass some time in this otherwise rather lousy winter that we have been having!

dlm

Comments

comments

About the Author