Man sentenced to six years in prison for armed robbery charge

Joesph V. Fleming IV, 28, of Toledo, who was charged in connection to the February 2017 death of Marcus Alexander, was sentenced Wednesday to six years in prison and will be on post-release control for another five years after that.

He is the last of three people to be sentenced for their part in the death that night.

Alexander, 31 of Toledo was killed at the Emma Street Econo Lodge following a planned robbery that he, Fleming, and a Leipsic woman were involved in. Husam H. Coleman, 38, of Chicago, was the target of the robbery, and he fatally shot Alexander during the robbery.

Fleming told Common Pleas Judge Reginald Routson during proceedings on Wednesday morning that he had gained skills in prison to be a leader and say no to potential problems.

“I can stand up for myself today,” Fleming said. “I won’t get myself involved again.”

He apologized to the court, to Alexander’s mother, and to Coleman.

Fleming’s defense lawyer, John W. McMahon, argued Fleming had less involvement in the case than Coleman, who was sentenced to five years in prison in November 2017, after pleading guilty to involuntary manslaughter, a first-degree felony.

Routson rejected the argument during sentencing, saying he believed Fleming knew about the robbery before he got in a car with Alexander and Kisseberth headed for Findlay.

“I do believe you were a culpable and willing participant in this,” Routson told Fleming.

Fleming pleaded guilty on April 11 to aggravated robbery, a first-degree felony, after a plea deal that gave prosecutors a statement to use against Kisseberth, 27 of Leipsic. A murder charge against Fleming was dropped after the plea deal.

Kisseberth was sentenced to 11 years in prison for involuntary manslaughter and aggravated burglary, both first-degree felonies, in May. She was originally charged with murder.

Findlay police were sent to the Emma Street motel around 1 a.m. Feb. 17, 2017 after reports of gunshot. Alexander was on a second-floor balcony and died at the scene. Coleman was taken into custody a short time later after being found at a Findlay apartment.

Alexander’s autopsy indicated he was shot three times.



About the Author

Leave a Reply