Bond reset for arson suspects

Bond was set Monday for the three people charged in the late-May arson that killed two and injured one in the 600-block of South Poplar Street.

Judge Michael P. Kelbley set bond at $2 million with 10 percent allowed for Shey L. Weiker, 31, and Charles V. Schaeffer, 44, both of 151 Taft Blvd., and $50,000 with 10 percent allowed for Timothy D. Hall, 20, of 126 Findlay St., Monday morning, a Seneca County Common Pleas Court representative said. The bonds for both Weiker and Schaeffer remained the same, while Kelbley greatly reduced Hall’s during the hearing. Hall’s bond was previously set at $1.5 million. The bonds were reset as the trio was bound over from Tiffin-Fostoria Municipal Court.

The trio was indicted last week on charges stemming from a Memorial Day arson that killed Daniel Marker Jr., 48, and Tara Lynn Vance, 44, and injured Dana Weatherall, 49, at 614 S. Poplar St.

Weiker, Schaeffer and Hall are accused of starting the fire at around 3 a.m. May 26

Weiker is charged with aggravated arson, a first-degree felony; aggravated murder, a special felony; murder, a special felony; and attempted murder, a first-degree felony, for allegedly throwing a lit railroad flare toward the porch of the South Poplar Street residence because Marker had supposedly committed a sex crime against her son, according to court documents.

If convicted, Weiker could face the death penalty.

Schaeffer, who allegedly instructed Weiker how to ignite the flare, faces charges of complicity to aggravated arson, a first-degree felony; complicity to aggravated murder, a special felony; complicity to murder, a special felony; and, complicity to attempted murder, a first-degree felony. If convicted, he could face a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Hall, who is accused of allegedly disposing of evidence, faces charges of tampering with evidence, a third-degree felony, and two counts of obstructing justice, a third-degree felony. According to court records, he allegedly disposed of the flare’s strike cap by throwing it into the sewer system in the 100 block of Taft Boulevard.

If convicted, Hall faces a maximum prison term of nine years.



About the Author

Leave a Reply